This is a past event.
D.I.F. (Diversity, Inclusion & Fairness) Conference
The Georgia Southern University Multicultural Student Center is proud to announce the inaugural Diversity, Inclusion & Fairness (D.I.F.) Conference which will be held on Saturday, April 9, 2016 from 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. in the Russell Union.
D.I.F. Conference Mission
The mission of the inaugural D.I.F. Conference is to create an opportunity to openly talk, listen and learn about issues related to diversity, inclusion and fairness.
The theme for the inaugural D.I.F. conference is "Embrace the Elephant". We are encouraging attendees to THINK about Diversity, CREATE Inclusive spaces, and BE Fair!
D.I.F. Conference Goals:
* Develop an understanding of diversity, inclusion and fairness (Think).
* Increase awareness of one's identities, biases and privileges (Think).
* Understand the value of inclusivity and how individual actions impact our environments (Create).
* Engage in Intergroup Dialogue to understand the effects of marginalization in order to create safe and inclusive environments (Create).
* Identify and develop the necessary skills to create positive and strategic change (Be).
* Challenge each other to acknowledge and expand the boundaries of our comfort zones (Be).
Featuring Opening Keynote Speaker - Justin Jones-Fosu (www.justininspires.com/),
"Hug an Elephant, Kiss a Giraffe: Redefining Diversity in Everyday Life"
Justin Jones-Fosu is an international speaker, young-award winning entrepreneur, and author. In 2008, Justin was named as one of EBONY Magazines "30 Young Leaders on the Rise" and has been featured in SMART CEO Magazine, the Baltimore Business Journal and other publications. Being a former weekly radio host, Justin continues his passion for current events and how they can positively shape our lives.
Featuring Closing Keynote Speaker - Dr. Chris Linder (drchrislinder.wordpress.com/)
Assistant Professor, Department of Counseling and Human Development Services, University of Georgia
Dr. Chris Linder received a PhD in Higher Education and Student Affairs Leadership from the University of Northern Colorado. She earned a Master's in Educational Administration with an emphasis in Student Affairs and a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration from the University of Nebraska. Prior to becoming a faculty member, Chris worked as a student affairs professional for 10 years, both in Greek Life and Women's Centers. Dr. Linder's research interests include creating and maintaining inclusive campus environments and activist identity development. She has studied racism and White privilege in feminism, including experiences of women of Color activists and developmental processes of White feminists striving to engage in anti-racist activism.
Georgia Southern Students - $10/person
Non-Georgia Southern Students - $20/person
Group Rate (10+ people) - $12/person
Two Ways to Register:
1. Online - With debit or credit card before 11:59 pm, Mon., April 4th, please visit - tiny.cc/DIF16
2. In-person - Via cash/check, Russell Union Room #2070 until 5 pm, Tues., April 5th!
Registration is refundable PRIOR to March 8th; After March 8th, registration is transferrable only!
Follow us on Social Media - #MakeADIF16
Saturday, April 9, 2016 at 8:00am to 4:00pm